Friday, March 9, 2012
Biggest Bouquet of Roses: Kazakh man sets world record
Kyzylorda, Kazakhstan--Based on a romantic pop hit from Soviet times, a Kazakh man has ordered one million red roses for his wife on International Women's Day
, setting the world record for the Biggest Bouquet of Roses, according to World Record Academy: http://www.worldrecordacademy.com/
The Guinness world record for the largest bouquet was made from 156,940 roses. It was created by and displayed in NordWestZentrum shopping mall in Frankfurt am Main, Germany.
Guinness World Records also recognized the world record for the oldest species of plant cultivated and used for decoration, set by the rose (genus Rosa, family Rosaceae). Documents dated to AD 50 suggest that ancient Romans grew the flowers in vast plantations and local hothouses to ensure a year-round supply of medicinal extracts, cooking ingredients and ornamentation.
The deep-pocketed Romeo contacted a florist in the central Kazakhstan city of Kyzylorda and asked for the monster bouquet to be delivered on March 8 to coincide with International Women's Day.
According to the Express-K.kz website, he paid upfront for the roses, which cost as much locally as 2000 Kazakhstani tenge ($US13) each - making the grand total a possible $US13 million.
Fortunately, the website said the florist gave the man a hefty discount for the bulk order, which will have to be imported from the Netherlands.
"We have already ordered flowers in Almaty. All roses will be Dutch, they will be scarlet and of the same length. We are giving the wholesale customer a very large discount. There has never been such an order in our city before," the owner of the flower shop told the republican newspaper Express-K.
According to the newspaper, 90 percent of "Dutch" roses in fact normally arrive in Kyzylorda from Ecuador, China and Uzbekistan. The remaining 10 percent of the flowers are grown in Kazakhstan.
"But for such an important order, we will bring real roses from Holland," the shop owner said.
It sounds like the sort of gesture a lovestruck Borat might have employed to woo his beloved Pamela Anderson in the hit film Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.
In fact, the inspiration was actually a Soviet-era pop song entitled Million Roses, according to Russia's RIA Novosti.
International Women's Day is always a good day for Dutch rose exporters, Flora Holland spokesperson Lex van Horssen said.
Related world records:
Largest penny pyramid: Tom Haffey sets world record (Video)
Largest Chewed Gumball: Barry Chappell sets world record
Largest Christmas tree made of plastic bottles: Kaunas (Video)
Largest Lego Santa Yoda: San Francisco (Video)
Largest jacket: children from Stockport breaks Guinness world record
Largest fuzzy dice: Las Vegas (Video)
Largest bra: Vanish
Largest slipper: Monster Slippers
Largest Balloon Sculpture: Adam Lee (Video)
Largest ball of paint: Michael Carmichael (Video)
Longest wedding dress veil: Elena De Angelis (Video)
Largest Kilt: Steve Campbell
Largest wall calendar:Kharagpur students (Video)
Most signed Lego bricks in one structure: Lego fair
Longest Toran: Jyoti Chindak (Video)
Largest Fishing Lure: Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort sets world record (HD Video)
Largest hat mosaic: New Era set world record
Largest T-shirt: Gildan (Video)
Longest line of socks: New Zealand (Video)
Largest coat: Stockport children
Biggest pass the parcel: Make-A-Wish Foundation (HD Video)
Longest row of rubber ducks: Cozi
Longest friendship bracelet: Owingsville Elementary (Video)
Longest usable yo-yo: James Buffington (HD Video)
Longest string of bottle caps: Seaview School students
Largest pack of playing cards: Lynn Camp students
Largest banjo: Richard Ineson
Tallest sandcastle: Ed Jarrett (HD Video)
Longest cigar: Jose Castelar Cairo (Video)
Longest model train: Wilmington Railroad Museum (Video)
Tallest structure built with Lincoln Logs: Ottawa students (Video)
Tallest Lego Tower: Brazil children (Video)
Largest ball of copper: Rick Fortin (Video)
Largest clay pot: Korea
Largest LEGO Mosaic: DK and the LEGO Group (Video)
Largest Ring Binder: Impact Enterprises Inc.
Largest dome igloo: Eric Ouellette and his team
Largest Snowball: University of Massachusetts Dartmouth students
Largest Magnetic Sculpture: Tim Szeto and Denis Saveliev
Longest Ski Hat: Gini Woodward
Largest Grand Piano: Daniel Czapiewski
Largest piece of handmade recycled paper: Ryan International school students
Largest Wallet: Big Skinny
Largest T-Shirt: QAPCO
Biggest luminous pearl: Six-ton Chinese 'pearl'
Longest attached rope of Silly Bandz: Boynton Beach students
Largest Toast Mosaic: Laura Hadland
Largest Photo Mosaic: Revoli Cortez
Longest Plasticine sculpture: Flair
Largest skateboard: California designers
Friday, March 9, 2012 11:31 AM